Jonas Kaufmann will limit his engagements outside Europe.
In an article by The New York Times, the German tenor said stated that he wishes to remain close to his family, something made difficult when he travels to the U.S. for new productions.
“Any operatic contract which I accept in Europe still allows me the possibility to be with my family at least for a day or two each week,” Mr. Kaufmann said in the article. “This is unfortunately not the case once traveling further away from Europe.”
Kaufmann was initially scheduled to sing a new production of “Tosca” at the Met in 2017-18 but announced his cancellation on Friday. The run was slated to last a month and Kaufmann would also have to be involved in the rehearsal process, which would take up several weeks.
The tenor is still expected to appear in New York in April to perform “Tristan und Isolde” at Carnegie Hall with the Boston Symphony Orchestra. That engagement, which does not require staging rehearsals, would take up substantially less time.
Kaufmann recently returned from a prolonged absence this past fall due to medical reasons. He spent most of the time with his children, which altered his perspective.
“[It] was lovely because I tend to not see them as my job involves so much traveling, so I was very happy with that,” he previously stated. “Everything is on hold and every plan is postponed because you’re on tour all the time, and when you are there, the moments are too precious to spoil with the discussions that you need to have.”