Argentina Sees 35 Percent Increase in Operatic Activity in 2019, Per Ópera en Argentina

By David Salazar

Argentina saw an increase in operatic activity in 2019, according to Opera en Argentina.

The publication unveiled major information on the country’s activity in the world of opera, including the fact that 61 percent of all performances in the country were driven by independent companies. In total there were 426 performances of staged operas or staged concerts, a 35 percent increase from 2018. These performances were undertaken by 35 different companies, five more than in 2018.

Of all performances in the company, 65.5 percent took place in Buenos Aires, with Partido de la Plata featuring 5.9 percent of all performances, by far the second most of any other city.

April featured the most number of performances with just under 60, followed by July and August; February was the least active month in terms of opera-related activity.

In terms of repertory, audiences got to see 82 different works throughout the year with 24 including contemporary operas (a total of 98 performances) and four being adaptations for children. Verdi was the most represented of composers with 65 total performance son the year (half of which were performances of “La Traviata”) while Mozart came in second with 54 and Puccini in third with 28. Rossini and Donizetti rounded out the top five with 17 and 15 performances, respectively.

This supported a general trended in which 83 percent of all composers performed throughout the year were European, with the other 17 percent representing Latin American composers; of all these composers, only four were women (three Argentines and one British). There were no composers from other regions.

All statistics were gathered included activity between January and mid-November 2019.